Thursday, February 3, 2011

The Socially Networked Classroom (Kist)

While reading this text I came across the "This is an Apple" activity " (pages 40-41). I think that using this activity in the classroom would spark debate. Students are thrown into a game where they are supposed to multitask. It is inevitable that chaos will break out as students scramble with words and thought. My opinion is that some people are able to multitask effectively and some are unable to be productive while trying to multitask. Technology has played a huge role in multitasking. People drive while talking on the phone. Students study with the T.V. on as background noise. People walk and text as the same time. Even as I type this blog entry I am listening to music. I think technology has changed society in that we try to do so many things at once. I would be interested in hearing what students think about this idea. Do students feel like technology has shaped how they multitask? Do students feel like they can multitask with technology? I'd also like to hear if students ever feel overwhelmed by the amount of multitasking that takes place. I know that if I open my e-mail and I have a lot of new messages-- it overwhelms me and sometimes I just sign out. The same is if I get a lot of text messages. I tend to let text messages go unanswered for a period of time because I don't want to go through them. I don't know if students think in this way or if they are just so accustomed to technology and all that it requires that they don't really think much about these things.

No comments:

Post a Comment