Saturday, February 12, 2011

Choosing Which Books to Teach (Pytash)

I was surprised to see how many books she has her students read during the year. She states, "I require a lot from students, and by and large they live up to these expectations," (Jago 45). I want to teach like that! I DO NOT want to teach to the 'Zone of Minimal Effort' (Jago 45). It is discouraging to sit in a classroom and see what expectations too many teachers place on his or her students. It's like they don't think the students are capable of reading anything. She says she's "always on the lookout for compelling novels that encourage thinking about big ideas," (Jago 45). I think this is an important idea because sometimes I feel as though some young adult literature may lack complexity and depth. She lets students read five books outside of class per semester and she states that she "give(s) them a list of twelve novels I believe educated teenagers should have read" (Jago 42-43). I like this idea because it allows students to have choice but also encourages reading complex reads. I think it is great to have students reading outside of class. I read more outside of class in high school than I read in class. I was actually able to get by without reading the novels until after we covered them in class. I would get A's or B's on tests over basic plot elements or characters and then I would go home and read the book after we were done with it in class. Why? I think I did this because my teachers did not set books up properly in class. This may be why I really like the idea of choice in the classroom as well as anticipation guides.

2 comments:

  1. It was interesting to read what you used to do as a student. And unfortunate that students have those experiences in our classrooms. I also like anticipation guides and think choice is associated with motivation to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree that choice is a motivation to read. Most of the time, students are not going to all want to read the same books. However, giving them different books that not only interest them, but help build their reading skills is killing two birds with one stone. In addition, to allowing students to choose their own books, I think it is the teacher's job to set the boundaries for free choice. Many times students will pick books that are not challenging, thus staying in the zone of minimual effort. When Dr. Pytash let us choose our own books, there was more than one that interested me, so I would put those on my book list, which keeps growing.

    ReplyDelete