Monday, April 25, 2011

Class Reflection (Pytash)

I liked how this semester we learned more about lesson planning and we used canonical literature. I was a bit leery of young adult literature but this class, and mainly working on the final, has taught me that young adult literature can compliment canonical literature in the classroom. I don't think teachers should stray from the canon but I think teachers should be more flexible in teaching newer things. The combination of young adult literature and multi-modal resources can help breathe life into the literature language arts teachers are teaching. This class has taught me the effective use of young adult literature and how to break difficult material down into smaller pieces that adolescents can understand. I want my classroom to be student-centered so I will do what I can to get students to care about the material (even if I personally detest young adult literature).

1 comment:

  1. I am glad you were able to see the connection between the "canon," YA literature, and new literacies.

    ReplyDelete