Sunday, April 3, 2011

35th Cleveland International Film Festival

I had a superb experience at the CIFF. I went to the April 3rd 9:45 AM showing of Self Made with my sister Brittany Ankrom. Brittany is a photojournalism major at Kent State so she appreciates film and the CIFF experience as well. The line was short, probably because it was quite early in the morning. We received a student discount on our tickets, which I really appreciated, and the cashier validated our parking pass from the Tower City lot. Even before the film began I was satisfied with the process.

The film Self Made was incredibly powerful! The characters were so transparent and the cinematography was sophisticated. The content of the film was beautifully orchestrated as well. I connected with the characters and was moved by this close analysis of perception and identity. I was unfamiliar with method acting until I saw this film. I’m not ashamed to admit that I went through a couple Kleenex during the film— it was so powerful! Overall I enjoyed the event and I will pursue the notion of bringing my future students to the CIFF. If I am unable to achieve this field trip (which I highly doubt because it is an esteemed, educational event) I will definitely be back. I’m seriously considering buying some sort of pass when next year’s festival rolls around.

1 comment:

  1. I thought the exact same thing about the experience. I wish I had thought to come to the festival earlier in life! I think even if I move out of Ohio I will make a special trip back for the festival. I saw The High Cost of Living and I thought it was excellent. I think i'm going to buy it on DVD. There are some great new directors out. I read this article on Deborah Chow, the director of the movie.

    http://www.showbizmonkeys.com/movies.php?id=1910

    I hope she makes some more movies. I was really impressed

    ReplyDelete