Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Little Brother: Part 1 (Kist)

I am about halfway through Little Brother by Cory Doctorow. I am growing to enjoy reading this work. I am not usually terribly personally interested in reading adolescent literature but I think this novel has a lot to offer students. The debate between security and privacy is relevant. This futuristic work showcases possible circumstances,  that I hope never occur in the United States, and encourages interesting discussion in the classroom. Little Brother would allow teachers to see just how involved with technology students are. I also  think the language is appealing to adolescents. I think a lot of people, including students, are unaware of how much content they actually put on the web. By putting more personal content on the Internet we are making it easier for others to invade our privacy. I would be interested in how students would respond to this idea.

1 comment:

  1. Tiffany,

    I agree that this book would allow teachers to see how prominent technology is in their students' lives. I also agree that people do not realize how much personal information they are putting on the web. Our students will probably be more involved in technology than we are and I feel that it is important for them to realize that they are taking a risk when they put personal information on the Internet.

    ReplyDelete