Sunday, January 30, 2011

Language as Expression (Pytash)

I relate to the theory of Language as Expression. I think it is key to have students do the central amount of work in the classroom (Ruggles 146). I do not view a classroom as a teacher lecturing and students taking tests over what the teacher has said. I also want to create a classroom that is centered on students responses to reading and writing (Ruggles 146). I relate with the statement that weighs "individual student's unique, expressive capacities for learning" as important (Ruggles 146). I want student's to trust his or her own response to the material (Ruggles 146). Teachers are teaching students how to learn not just what to learn. Students will grow into people that will be life-long learners in the real world. In my opinion, I feel as though teachers should be teaching students how to express their thoughts and value others expression as well. I think that students think they have to have one single response to a text and that it must align with what the teacher thinks about a text-- this minimalists the power of art! Do artists/writers intend for readers to have ONE meaning from their work? I do not believe this to be true. I strongly agree with the theory of Language as Expression.

No comments:

Post a Comment