Monday, December 13, 2010

Fluency and Automaticity

An idea from this chapter that I found intersting was that reading rates as the content changes. Beers writes, "We should also expect that reading rates vary as the content changes (magazines might be read faster than physics books), as motivation and interest change, and as background knowledge changes." Teachers should allow students some silent reading time in the classroom but they should also acknowledge these possible conditions in reading situations. This is why it is important for teachers to have students 'write aloud' or to hold discussions periodically through a reading assignment. Some readers that aren't very fluent will treat the quiet reading time as a 'zone out' time.
I liked what Beers wrote about determining a student's reading rate on page 210. I think I will revisit this section of the book when I am teaching. But even in her list it showed me that there is so much more to reading than the words on the page. It is important for teachers to understand this before trying to assess a student's reading rate.

2 comments:

  1. I like that you pointed out that it is important for Secondary and middle school teachers to read aloud. Like Beers said, sometimes we forget how valuable this can be to older students and now I plan on reading aloud to my future students! I also enjoy how Dr. Pytash was able to model this for us by reading aloud to us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also like the idea of reading aloud. It kind of was relaxing to be able to listen to the story and just think about it. I also like the silent reading aspect too. This gives the students to be able to read at thier own pace and allows them to pick up valuable information.

    ReplyDelete