Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Honors Internship Option-- A Reflection on Fieldwork at GlenOak High School



This semester was my final semester as a full-time student at Kent State University. Partnered with my courses was a 100-hour fieldwork experience at GlenOak High School in Canton, Ohio. I will be teaching full time at GlenOak during the spring semester. During the hours I spent observing classes and teaching a two-week unit I learned a number of things about education and teaching.

The first thing I learned was that the material used in each classroom, in this institution, is uniform. With the common core quickly approaching the entire United States and becoming the standard practice in Ohio, this phenomenon is typical. I quickly had to forget my romanticized ideology about creative control and flexibility in the classroom— for now. Each English four class, which is the basic senior-level English course offered, is covering British Literature out of the same textbook and is traveling through the material at approximately the same pace. This was hard for me to understand at first because each student tends to absorb dense information at a different pace. Also, students are assessed by a standard common assessment at the end of each nine weeks. This is not the only form of assessment, however. Teachers create other forms of assessment throughout the nine weeks in order to assess students' continual progress. The British Literature textbook at hand conveniently has a DVD collection with footage to introduce each time period and a worksheet volume that coincides with the texts that are to be taught. While all of these tools that support uniformity in education are useful— creativity and critical thinking skills seem to be largely absent from these practices. Luckily my cooperating teacher strays from the "bare minimum" materials and brings in outside resources. She creates reading guides, worksheets and other tools that help students learn.


I have two cooperating teachers that teach in dynamic ways. One is bubbly, humorous yet stern and has students work on worksheets and reading guides in small groups (or individually) a lot and generally students read some of the material aloud together during class. My other cooperating teacher withholds a lot of information about the texts, forcing students to construct their own thoughts, and operates in a way that largely revolves around brainstorming and other discussion-based techniques; students are generally expected to complete reading assignments individually outside of class and to continually monitor themselves to take quality notes during class. Each method of instruction is unique, insightful and both serve as fantastic models for me to follow. Students are learning in each classroom.


I’ve learned that one major structural setback to the education system is that students are being taught how to be better test takers. Common assessments, and the hefty weight of said test on students’ grades, communicate how significant these uniform tests are. This is unsettling to me. Can tests really accurately display how much a student knows? Is education (completion of various grade-levels) and knowledge (retained, connective learning) the same thing? I would hope so. It was startling when I had one student, a senior, who told me that he could not read. It wasn’t that he couldn’t understand the form or allusions of “The General Prologue” to The Canterbury Tales; he had little to no word recognition of the terms used in the simplified translation of the piece from the Middle Ages. I was shocked. How does this happen in America’s education system? And why is it often overlooked? Obviously I do not have the answers.


Regardless, it was thrilling to teach. I taught a two week unit on The Canterbury Tales. I began the unit by digging up photos and facts about the text and Canterbury, England during the Middle Ages and throwing them into a PowerPoint presentation. I provided students with some interesting scholarship on Chaucer’s life as well. It didn't take long for me to learn that students really do not like taking notes. But, I wanted to get them thinking from Chaucer's perspective. I spurred students toward the path of understanding questions like: how did Chaucer characterize those around him and why is it significant that he did so? Students grabbed their textbooks, broke off into groups and became experts on one character of “The General Prologue”. They marked up poster boards and brought these people of history to life! I gave specific guidelines (textual evidence of characterization, literary devices, vocabulary, depiction of the character's occupation, depiction of Medieval society, Chaucer’s opinion, etc.) Then each group presented their findings. After nearly each presentation students dove into dynamic discussions regarding a variety of complex topics like— hypocrisy and virtue in the Catholic church, science vs. religion, one’s occupation vs. one’s identity, appearance vs. actions and even more. The students were critical about what was going on in society during that specific time period which bled into insightful discussion of current society. I even included a lesson on "A Small, Good Thing" by Raymond Carver. Students read the piece aloud. This beautiful, modern short story allowed students an outlet to connect information about characterization, the human experience and the limitation society can put on a person because of his or her occupation. At times discussion was fruitful and beautiful.


We also read, analyzed and discussed The Wife of Bath’s Tale. Students have very interesting insights on marriage. When I posed the same predicament of the Knight character to the students (to choose between a young and unfaithful wife/husband or an old and faithful wife/husband) many students chose a young, unfaithful spouse. While I was trying to decipher authenticity in their responses (was "cool factor" a major influence here?) one student spoke up and said she would “choose an old, faithful husband so that she could have affairs but at least he wouldn’t have any.” I was shocked. At least she thought through an answer? During similar dialogue with students on other topics I have learned that American culture and individual family circumstances have major implications on the development of adolescents. In the end students were surprised to learn that the Knight allows the Wife of Bath to have authority over what she would be in their marriage; she chose to be both young and faithful. So the Knight learned what women really want: choice and equality. I think each student walked away from the unit at least learning the importance of respecting others regardless of his or her gender. This may seem like common sense but due to American culture, among other things, students can be stereotypical, binary and prejudice in their thinking sometimes.


While I have mostly reflected on academic learning and critical thinking in the classroom, perhaps the more dynamic, spontaneous things I have left out. Some fascinating things have taken place in the classroom. I had an abrupt, chaotic burst of marker-throwing occur during group work which happened to be the same day I was observed by my professor. Students threw paper, pencils and pens. One student flirtatiously, yet disruptively, bit another on the hand. (I think Twilight may have had an influence in the matter…) One student stood up as the bell rang and then immediately passed out cold on the floor. Several students are perpetually absent. Several students do not turn in any work. None. Even if they were in class and I beg them, twice. The only students that seem to complete extra credit assignments are the ones that don’t need the points. One student brought a weapon to school. There was a car accident in the parking lot. One student is dealing with the death of a family member. I've learned that life is sloppy. Teaching is not a static, linear, simple thing. Students are unpredictable. But, amidst this swirl of vibrant adolescent chaos, I completely love what I do. I learn more and more about the human experience every day. These lessons are priceless. There are some students that persevere through unimaginable circumstances. There are some students that lack any and every form of motivation. There are some students that crave validation from teachers. Some could care less. The breath of all these students competes for air space in the classroom.


Underneath every unique individual there is so much potential that most students fail to recognize and embrace. They are capable of so much. I desire to create an environment to foster intellectual and personal growth. I hope to unlock doors of curiosity within each student so that they would question society, politics, culture, history and other elements of the world around them. I also desire to see students ignite a passion within them toward pursuing something that will ultimately benefit and challenge them as people.


During my time at GlenOak High School this semester I faced many challenges. While I was expecting to deepen my understanding of The Canterbury Tales when prepping and teaching the text, I also learned a great deal about the educational system, the educational process, practical application of ideology, classroom management, lesson planning, society, the influence of culture and family structure on students, the spontaneity and humor of adolescents and so much more. I also learned that teaching is fulfilling, challenging, straining, stressful, emotional, complex, dynamic, creative, rigid and the only job I can see myself being happy doing. I can't wait to teach full time in the spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment