Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Assessing Dependent Reader's Needs: Chapter Three

Teachers need to be precise in their language. Making general statements can confuse students. When a student asks a teacher what they mean by what they said, teachers should think about how to phrase their statement differently instead of simply repeating it. The problem isn't that the student couldn't hear you but that they couldn't understand what you meant. This task may be frustrating for a teacher which is why I believe that teachers should be patient. Each student will learn differently, which means each student will understand differently, read differently, write differently, etc.

I personally found the list located on pages 24-26 extremely helpful. I know that there will be difficulty in understanding how students are struggling with reading and this list will help pinpoint the exact areas that need improvement. This list will make my statements about the struggling reader more precise and concrete so that the reader and his or her parents can understand the problem areas. In return, this will allow them to break down the problem and start working for solutions. This list will also clarify ideas in my mind and help me make a concrete instructional plan that will allow the student to grow into success.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you about the list being so helpful. One of my biggest fears about teaching is that a student really needs my help and I will not recognize it in time and they will not ask for help. This list is a great tool to help us teachers, like you said, make an instructional plan to help out the students.

    ReplyDelete